It all goes to hell. Well, not really hell. But not the way it was "supposed" to go either. It wasn't the fact that Obama won in Iowa that made me decide to vote for him in a few weeks. It was that speech. The victory speech he gave after the Iowa results were in. Three years ago Obama gave a speech at the Democratic National Convention that lit a fire under many a democrat. Put him on the national scene, made him famous. I later read the speech online and it was certainly impressive. But it was grand and general and designed to fire up the base of the party and it worked. Last week, though, it was the speech he gave after the Iowa win that ended up giving me the chills and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
It was not only smart and savvy and hopeful, but it was also pragmatic in some ways, it spoke to people on both sides of the aisle and it was outright inspiring. I actually started to believe there might be a politician out there who will do what he says he's going to do. (To be fair, I have something known in politics as raving TB - that's true-believerism) So I'm more inclined to favor a speech like Obama's than Hillary's robot like delivery and common sense attitude. So you can imagine my shock, which ran parallel to the shock throughout every major television news outlet, when Hillary WON in New Hampshire. It was supposed to be a coronation. It was supposed to be a blowout. A ten point victory at least. But the polls were wrong. People coming out of the booths lied (which is extremely odd in my opinion). And that's now known because the exit polls matched up with the pre-voting polls. Obama didn't win. People said they were going to vote for him, said that they did vote for him, but they voted for someone else. Interesting, those liars.
This race is far from over now. And in many ways it is again Hillary's to lose. I am feeling a little bummed out that I finally made a decision and then the guy lost, but there's a silver lining. On February 5 it will be Super Tuesday. For the first time in my life I will vote in a primary where my vote actually matters. In past years it was well decided by the time the Connecticut primary arrived, but not this time. There's the Nevada caucus. Then South Carolina. Then Super Tuesday. I'm excited to be involved in the process for once. I'm probably not gonna go volunteer or anything, but I might do a little selling. You may get a call, casual enough, from me asking how things are going. How life has been. What you're up to this weekend. Then....boom! Hit you with my political questions and badger you into voting for the half Kenyan, half Kansan. He can do it. And who knows, you can make it happen.
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
exit and entrance polls are very interesting. i thought actually when doing the politcal compass, that its easy to lie, even if not intentionally about what you actually believe. people think obama is the right guy, but oddly enough can't get themselves to pull the trigger. some speculate because he is black. or becuase he has the largest teeth in the world perhaps. all kidding aside, i hope he pulls it out.
i couldn't believe she won, either, and i also hope kerry's endorsement doesn't jinx my man Barak. he can do it...the southerns are loving him down here, and let me tell you one thing about southerners, they do NOT like hillary. AT ALL. i don't even like hilary, and i lived in ny when she came on the scene and voted against her then, too. i am waiting with bated breath for super tuesday, all geared up for my man to pull it off again!!
Post a Comment