Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Political Compass

I took a political compass test. Here's how I did. Apparently I'm a leftist with some libertarian qualities. So suck it up, pull up your bootstraps (if you can't pull them up yourself we'll totally help you pull them up) and have a nice day!

Here's a little more detail of what my placement means.

As you can see above, Gandhi and I are basically the same. We were pretty tight back in the day.
If you want to test yourself go to this website: http://www.politicalcompass.org/ Lata suckas!


2 comments:

steph said...

check my blog.

i just took this and we are just about exactly the same...i am a tad more liberal than you, however.

Cloud9 said...

I’m a liberal, but I already knew that. The weird thing about the political climate of today: who in their right mind does not consider themselves liberal? I’m pretty sure most of the people who use the word liberal in a pejorative fashion have never used a dictionary. Fifty years ago, anyone who supported civil rights and republicanism embraced the mantle of liberalism. But conservatives have done their best to turn it into a bad word.

Liberal
1) broad-minded: tolerant of different views and standards of behavior in others
Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
2) POLITICS progressive politically or socially: favoring gradual reform, especially political reforms that extend democracy, distribute wealth more evenly, and protect the personal freedom of the individual
Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.


Conservatives no doubt hone in the “distribute wealth more evenly” phrase and find fault. That’s where the flat tax whacko comes in. Even though the rule of thumb is that 90% of the wealth is in the hands of 10% of the population, flat tax proponents would tax everyone the same rate. Which is a little like asking Ethiopians to donate the same percentage of their GDP as Americans - to alleviate hunger, for example. You sometimes also hear conservatives extolling the virtues of using a single tax - the sales tax - to fund government; kind of a pay-as-you-go tax philosophy. Of course, relatively speaking, poor people would pay a higher percentage of taxes using this scheme. I’ve got nothing against rich people, but unlike conservatives, I’ve got nothing against poor people either.